Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!

First I would like to say that I have never attempted to blog before--so please bear with me as I embark on one of my New Years Resolutions...

2010 was very good to me. I bought a house with my boyfriend, Chris and changed careers, among many other things. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a little break between my old job and current job. And by a little, I mean almost 5 weeks.

I found myself on the couch often, watching Giada, Paula Deen, Barefoot Contessa, The Neelys -- you know, the usual Food Network lineup. I began experimenting with recipes and realized that cooking is not as hard as it looks (despite the fact that I have to wear my hair in a pony tail with an apron on - as opposed to Giada whose hair is perfectly styled while simultaneously showing off the girls and creating thousands of amazing recipes with her key ingredient, marscapone cheese -- maybe I am a tinsy bit jealous).

College is over, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I am becoming an adult. No longer is it acceptable to bring a pack of keystone to a party. And I am sure the love of my life will not stick around forever if he continues to get fed Raman Noodles. So, pour a glass of wine and join me on my journey through the kitchen as I teach myself to cook! I hope you and your family enjoy these recipes as much as we have.

LOVE,

Lauren


Monday, January 31, 2011

Date Night: Roll Your Own Sushi

First off, I am so sorry its has been so long since I blogged. Truth be told...I'm still cooking, just forgetting to take pictures of my food! On friday night, Chris and I stayed in and had an affordable and fun date night. We bought a roll your own sushi kit from World Market that had basically everything you need minus the fresh veggies and seafood. It makes 4 rolls, 2 bowls of misu soup AND it was only $12.99! The instructions were super easy to follow. At the grocery store I spent about $15 on lump crab meat, a cucumber, an avocado, carrots, scallions and smoked salmon. We will definitely try this again. Our goal is to go to the Asain Market and get a little more creative with our rolls.



Roll Your Own Sushi

Ingredients:

Sushi Kit from World Market
1 container of lump crab meat or a stick of imitation crab meat
1 cucumber
1 avocado
1 carrot
Scallions
1 package of smoked salmon

Preparation:

1. Start by slicing all of your veggies julienne style. The thinner the better. You don't want to over stuff your rolls or they won't stay closed once you cut them into pieces.


2. Follow the simple directions on the box. Basically you take your seaweed (shiny side down) and place it on the bamboo mat. Cover evenly with sticky rice mixture (directions on box) and then stuff with veggies and seafood of your choice. Then simply roll with the bamboo mat, cut and serve. Here is a picture of what it should look like before you roll.


Here is the finished product! Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment